Four legislations that provide legal basis for the Review are:
- The Federal Capital Act 1960
- The Constitutional (Amendment) (No,2) Act 1973
- The Federal Capital (City Area) Order 1974
- The Federal Territory (Planning) Act 1982
Structure Plan Review Implementation and Local Plan Preparation and Adoption
The review of teh Kuala Lumpur Structure Plan and the preparartion of the local plan will be implemented in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Territory (Planning) Act 1982. Itis the expressed intention of the legislation that the local plans would be prepared and finalised on the lines set out in Section 13 of the Act either:
- whilst the Structure Plan was being prepared; or
- as soon as practicable after the strucuture plan has come into force
Local Plan - Form and Content
It is our considered view that the minimal form and content as required by law for a local plan are:
a map and a written statement indicating the zoning, density, the improvement of pysical environment and improvement of transportation. The local plan is to be accompanied by such diagrams, illustrations and descriptive matter as the Datuk Bandar thinks appopriate.
- Local Plans for Federal Territory must be prepared and adopted in accordance with the procedure outlined in the Federal Territory (Planning) Act 1982.
- The wide discretionary power of Datuk Bandar under Section 22(1) of the Federal Territory (Planning) Act need to be examined once the local plans are in place.
- The Federal Territory (Planning) Act is 15 years old and itis our considered opinino that the Act need to be reviewed in keeping with the rapid changes and dvelopments that have taken place.
- There is a need to study the establishment and creation of a Metropolitan Kuala Lumpur (MKL) which encompass the whole Kelang Valley, KLIA, Putrajaya and Cyberjaya. MKL will increase the scope for better and more effective planning and development of the National Capital City.